Friday, January 14, 2011

My Top 10 Favorite Films of 2010

There are several year end releases that I haven't seen yet, so this list is kind of incomplete. The films that I want to see and I think would make my list include Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1; The Fighter; Tangled; Black Swan, and maybe a couple more. But it's mid January now and I wanted to go ahead and post my favorite films of last year before it gets too late. So here we go.
tron legacy
10. TRON:LEGACY - Terrific visual effects and a pulsating score compensate for a somewhat weak story and a Big Lebowksi type of performance from actor Jeff Bridges. Still Tron is an awesome sight to see.
The A-Team.
9. THE A-TEAM - This update of the 80's TV series was one of the best tv to film adaptations ever. Liam Neeson, Bradley Cooper, Quinton Jackson, and Sharlto Copley were dead on perfect as the team in question. And Patrick Wilson and Brian Bloom make the perfect bad guys. A rousing summer popcorn film if there ever was one.
Cameron Diaz holds onto Tom Cruise in 'Knight and Day.'
8. KNIGHT & DAY - Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz rock in this funny and exciting action flick with Cruise doing his superspy thing and Cameron being well Cameron. Lots of car chases, shoot-outs and fun banter between the two stars ensue.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
7. SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD - A truly fantastic looking movie with Michael Cera as the slacker guitarist who has to battle the 7 evil ex's of Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Based on the popular comic book, Scott Pilgrim is funny, colorful, and exciting. Might not be for everyone's tastes, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
How to Train Your Dragon
6. HOW TO TRAIN A DRAGON - If not for Toy Story 3, this would be my favorite animated film of the year. Still, I have it ranked in my top six because it is genuinely thrilling and touching. A film the whole family will enjoy.
Kick-Ass
5. KICK-ASS - Another comic book based movie, but this one is not for the little ones. An awkard teen decides to become a super-hero and fight crime. Trouble is, he has no super powers. But that doesn't stop him, and soon this film goes where few comic book films will..it becomes bloody, graphic, and profane. Did I mention the 11 year girl named Hit Girl who has the best moments in the film. She's a whirlwind dynamo as she shoots, stabs, and messes up anyone who gets in her way. Oh and Nicholas Cage is her wacked out father named Big Daddy. An awesome movie.
toy story 3
4. TOY STORY 3 - The final chapter of the Toy Story series is brilliant. There won't be a dry left once the credits roll. But before that you will have Woody, Buzz and the gang in another fun filled adventure. Pixar at it's best.
inception
3. INCEPTION - A mind-bender of a movie from director Christopher Nolan who can do no wrong. With my main man Leonardo DiCaprio doing his usual fantastic job, Inception is one hell of a movie. And I loved it more than I did The Dark Knight. That's saying a lot.
The Town
2. THE TOWN - Tense crime thriller directed by Ben Affleck that will remind you of Heat but will also stand on it's own. A solid cast featuring Affleck, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Hall, John Hamm, Chris Cooper, Blake Lively and the recently passed Pete Postlethwaite with terrific action scenes and volatile dramatic confrontations make The Town a winner.
True Grit
1. TRUE GRIT - Even better than the original version which starred John Wayne. The Coen Brothers put their own spin on this classic western and comes out aces. Jeff Bridges is awesome in the Wayne role as the rough Marshal Rooster Cogburn. Matt Damon is good as well. And newcome Hailee Steinfeld is simply amazing.

1 comment:

Tom said...

True Grit was the best film I saw last year too, Monty. When I comes out on DVD i think I will purchase this one, and watch it with the subtitles so I can catch all the diaglogue; I couldn't make out all that some of the characters were saying/mumbling, even after seeing it 3 times.