Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Favorite Xena Episodes #1 - Callisto


Flixster - Share Movies

Since Lucy is my star of the month, I decided to post mini reviews of her Xena episodes which I thought were the very best ones. I believe Callisto from season one is one of the best the series ever produced, and is definitely a personal favorite of mine. It is said that you measure the hero by the villian they battle with, and if that is the case then Xena's counterpart is one awesome villian. Years ago when Xena was still a bad person, wreaking havoc all over the countryside, she came to this town called Cirra. And had her amry lay waste to the entire village. A young girl named Callisto survived and swore vengeance on Xena. She blames the death of her mother and sister on Xena and seeks retribution. Flash forward a few years and Callisto, a lithe blonde compared to the muscular dark haired Xena (played by the impressive Hudson Leick) is roaming the country and ransacking villages and claiming it in the name of Xena. Well Xena and her trusty sidekick Gabrielle get wind of this and begins to track down Callisto. Their initial meeting is classic as Callisto more than holds her own with the warrior princess and lets her know that Xena's past has finally caught up with her. The two will meet again, in fact Callisto has Gabrielle held captive and will kill the girl if Xena doesn't battle with her to the death. This is the episode where everything clicked for the series. Finally a true adversary for Xena. Yes Aries was first and he is awesome character, but by him being a god of unlimitless power made him always seem unbeatable. Here with Callisto, Xena is perfectly matched. She is the ying to Callisto's yang. And Hudson Leick delivers a powerhouse performance as the revenge seeking woman who is a tad insane. Her performance actually brings out Lucy Lawless own game as she takes her acting ability to a new level.  Callisto would re-appear several more times over the course of the series, constantly tormenting our hero and Gabrielle as well. Callisto's acts of violence and depravity are without remorse and she doesn't hestitate for a second on her plan of revenge. If this is not the best episode in the series, then it's pretty damn close. Check out some of the choice quotes from this entertaining episode.


Flixster - Share Movies

 Callisto: The sight, just the *sight*, of Xena, Warrior Princess arguing on *my* behalf amuses me, so let me tell you. Let me answer your question about what I'd do if you let me go. You let me go, and I'll dedicate my life to killing everything you love. Your friends, your family, your reputation - even your horse. I'm being so honest with you, because the idea of your pity is worse than death for me. You see, you created a monster with integrity, Xena. Scary, isn't it
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xena: Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to you without a fair trial.
Callisto: You know, there used to be a little respect mixed up in my hatred for you... but not anymore. Your petty scruples are embarrassing. As a villian, you were awesome. As a hero, you're a sentimental fool.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gabrielle: You know, she'll do anything for revenge.
Xena: I don't blame her.
Gabrielle: Uh, I do. When will this end? Look at Melas. I know that he's a good man, but, this hate is making him an obsessed killer. Somebody has to say no to this lust for revenge.
Xena: That is so hard to do.
Gabrielle: You did it! When your village was destroyed, you were infected with bloodlust. But you overcame it!
Xena: I was lucky. I saw what I'd become, and I was able to turn around. But if something happened to Mother, or Hercules, or you, I might do just the same.
Gabrielle: No... No, look, you promise me. If something happens to me, you will not become a monster. There's only one way to end this cycle of hatred, and it's through love, and forgiveness.
Xena: Don't you go changing, Gabrielle. I like you just the way you are. Go get some sleep.
Gabrielle: No, no, you promise me.
Xena: I promise. Go, go on.




Flixster - Share Movies

1 comment:

Tom said...

Wow. Look at Xena. What a goddess.