Thursday, September 16, 2010

Spotlight on Minnie Driver and my 100th post


Today me and a friend were talking about movies and that led to a movie called Return To Me with David Duchovny and Minnie Driver. I let my friend borrow my copy because she had never seen it and she loved it. That began a discussion about Minnie Driver. So I decided to do a post about her on my blog.

Minnie was born on January 31, 1970 in Finsbury Park, London, England. Her mother, was a designer and former couture model and her father, Ronnie Driver, was a businessman. She has a sister, Kate, who's a model and a producer. Minnie's mother was her father's mistress. Her father's wife did not know about his second family. She has Irish, Scottish, Italian and French ancestry. She was raised in Barbados.

She attended finishing schools in Paris and Grenoble. She worked as a jazz singer and guitarist in London. Completed her debut album, 'Everything I've Got In My Pocket' (2004)

Gave birth to first child, a boy named Henry Story Driver, on September 5, 2008. He weighed 9 lbs. 12 oz.


Now I first saw Minnie in the 1995 romantic drama, Circle of Friends, co-starring Chris O'Donnell, Colin Firth, and Saffron Burrows. The movie was set in 1950's Ireland and focused on the friendship between three girls who attend college. Minnie played Bernadette "Benny" Hogan who falls for Jack Foley (played by O'Donnell). I loved this movie and thought Minnie turned in a marvelous performance. Later that year she had a small part as Irina, a Russian singer who loves country songs, in the James Bond film Goldeneye. And that was Minnie performing with her own voice and she did a great job. In 1997, Minnie co-starred with John Cusack in the cool action/comedy film Grosse Point Blank, which is one of my favorite films of all time. She would also star in her biggest film to date that year, Goodwill Hunting with Matt Damon, Robin Williams, and Ben Affleck. Minnie gave one of her best performances in Hunting. She kind of cooled off after that but Minnie is still one of my favorite modern actresses.
She does have a new upcoming film this December called Conviction, and it co-stars that Oscar magnet, Hilary Swank. The story is about a working mother who puts herself through law school in an effort to represent her brother, who has been wrongfully convicted of murder and has exhausted his chances to appeal his conviction through public defenders. Sounds like another winner for Minnie.

By the way, I just realized this is my 100th post here on Hero Worship. Wow! That really went fast.

No comments: